ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY 100% NATURAL SUSTAINABLE ALTERNATIVE TO PEAT MOSS
Convenient Small Bricks Great for Potted Plants or Container Gardens
Coir (also called Pith) is a 100-percent natural product from coconut husks. Coir is made of the coarse fibers extracted from the husk on the outer shell of a coconut. Because of its superior water holding capacity, excellent air space and drainage, coir is a useful soil amendment for potted plants, containers and gardens. Coir is a sustainable alternative to peat moss - it does not produce the same environmental damage caused by peat mining. In addition, coir is easier to hydrate and lasts longer in soil than peat moss.
Triumph Plant coir is conditioned for a neutral pH and low salt content. Lab testing yielded a pH of 6.3, salt (as sodium chloride) of 1,875 ppm, and electrical conductivity of 0.23 mS/cm. These measurements may vary some from brick to brick. Coir efficiently releases nutrients to plant roots and reduces the need to use dolomite lime in the garden. In sandy soils, coir helps keep nutrients and moisture close to plant roots instead of washing away. In clay soils, coir helps break up hard-packed earth, allowing the movement of nutrients and moisture through the soil.
Combining 1 part coir to 2 parts soil or potting mix containing compost, makes a superior growing medium for potted plants, outdoor garden or raised bed. Coir comes compressed as bricks, which makes for easy storage. To prepare a brick, add 4-5 quarts of water and soak for 10 minutes; then fluff it up, and it is ready to use. The final volume of the expanded coir will depend upon the amount of water used to hydrate it. By maintaining a consistent level of moisture and air and by being naturally disease and weed free, coir creates a perfect environment for starting seeds and cuttings. Coir is also popular in worm farming.
- Helps keep moisture in soil. Excellent for aeration and drainage. Mixes well with compost and nutrients to naturally provide eco friendly environment for roots to grow in containers, planters or beds. Natural sustainable organic alternative to peat moss.
- Use for indoor or outdoor plants. Environmentally friendly pith is fine husk fibers from coconuts and can be used in greenhouses, landscaping, garden beds, individual pots, vertical gardens, grow bags, terrariums,or container gardens on the patio. These compressed coco fiber blocks are a perfect growing medium and can also be used to start seeds or roots in a pot or planter.
- Odorless, pH Balanced, Free of Bacteria and most Fungal Spores, low in natural salts, no weeds or pests.
- Great bedding material for red wigglers and worm farms. Used for all types of plants including bonsai, cactus, orchid, roses, mushrooms, potato, and hydroponics. Keeps nutrients and moisture close to plant roots.
- Easy to use convenient size block: Soak in water to expand then mix with potting soil. Bricks range from 8 ounces to 13 ounces each and 10 ounces on average. Each brick holds 4 to 5 quarts of water, or 8 to 10 times its volume in water. Typical use is 2 parts soil to 1 part coir. A little goes a long way!